[RC] Faster walk by a tail - Don Huston

I don't see many people tailing these days but I found that all 5 of my horses walked much faster when I tailed them, so when the trail gets really bad or steep and walking is prudent I take my turn at getting some exercise and tail. Many times I have had to do a jog while tailing and my horse is still just walking. Tailing also is good for teaching a horse to think on his own and not just go mindlessly down the trail. I find it very satisfying to watch my horse get to a split in the trail and look at both and then 8 out of 10 times pick the one that has all the hoof prints all by himself. My current horse seems to really like tailing. When I am leading him and he starts to drag behind I give him the tailing cue "take me home" and slow down enough so he can walk past me then grab his tail and he immediately perks up and starts cranking at the walk. Tailing also lets the horse use different muscles and relieves the generally overworked back. Works great late in the ride when he's tired or bored and the trail is nasty then when the trail gets better I jump on and he's ready to trot with enthusiasm again. Tailing is also great for building trust, teamwork and a slimmer rider some day I hope :'(.
Don Huston