RE: [RC] trainer I quoted with something to share - Jennifer Adam

Several people have asked about the trainer I quoted the other day so for those of you who were curious, here's more info.

His name is Wayne Preston, and he's an older cowboy who trains local horses. I think he started out as a rodeo guy - to be honest, I don't know how he got involved training horses, but I first met him ten years ago. He isn't a big name trainer or anything like that - mostly he just starts colts and then people take them on to the big name guys. Some of the colts he's started have gone on to be successful cutting horses, reiners, etc. but a lot of them are just working horses and trail horses - nothing fancy, but durn good horses. Anyway, I liked his manner - he's one of those calm, gentle people who put people and horses at ease right away. I asked if I could watch him work, and he said yes. I started helping him muck out stalls and doing chores just so I had an excuse to spend more time at his barn, and I worked my way up to helping him halter break foals and yearlings. Then he let me start a colt - I got married and moved away, but the lessons have stayed with me. One thing I always liked about him was the fact that he never rushed, never provoked a fight with a horse, and never ever lost his calm. He could do stuff with a horse in ten minutes that would take me ten days - or longer! - but he never pushed it or acted like he was in a hurry. And he might have a barn of eight or twelve horses to work with, but he would know every horse's personality, likes and dislikes, favorite place to be scratched, and favorite treat. He treated every one like an individual and a friend, and the horses clearly respected him for it. Cool guy to learn from!

A couple of you asked if you could quote what he said the other day so I asked him and he just laughed. He said you all could quote whatever you wanted - but he said don't use his name because it isn't anything he came up with on his own. He said he learned from a lifetime of loving horses and he said anyone with a little patience can do that. He said he read Dorrance's book "True Horemanship Through Feel" and that it expressed a lot of the views he believes in, so if you want to quote someone he said quote that guy. :)

Well, there you go. Happy Riding!
Jen