Re: [RC] Faster walk//Treeless Saddle - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]   Faster walk//Treeless Saddle
I used to condition a 15.1 CMK (I think—one of the stockier Arabs) gelding w/ a stiff, poky walk. He responded to
  • more miles, more 50s (esp w/ more experienced people)
  • the Right-Left bump method. Some of slow walking is just losing focus, not paying attention.
  • lots of half halts “No, that’s not what I wanted” when he started to break/broke into trot
  • lots of “Good Boooooy!” when he down shifted from trot to faster walk or even took a few faster steps. (But then, this a horse, that if he doesn’t hear “Good BOY!” at least every ten minutes, he turns around and looks at you, like, “Well?”  I called him my 1-800-How’s-My-Driving horse.)
  • Mainly—getting him out of a Sharon Saare and into a Barefoot Cheyenne.

I have heard that some horses are restricted in their shoulders at the walk due to pinching saddles.

Beverley