[RC] 3 year old mustang - sandy . l . holder

Hi Jen,

I read about you wanting to start your 3 year old gelding under saddle soon.  If he is ribby and thin, I'd give him some time to fill out before putting stress on his probably somewhat underdeveloped and undernourished frame.  An older mentor of mine doesn't start his ponies until they're 7 or 8. . . and they're really nicely filled out with solid bones with wonderful dispositions, wanting to go out on trail by then.  Some folks would say that's a bit late but I think starting them too early might be worse.

My rescue (and now favorite horse) 5 years ago - 11 at the time - was 900 lbs and 15.3 hands.  He, as 2 trainers 'gently' put it to me, was psychotic as he'd almost been starved to death and was only saved by eating his own poop!  A mess but now a wonderful horse.

It took a solid year of walking, working with in hand, getting his frame to fill out  (the first 6 months) and then light work before we went to the next stage.  4 cups of beet pulp, 4 cups of oats (a mix of 2/3 barley - 1/3 steamed crimped oats), 4 cups of rice bran, FasTrac probiotics, some flax seed and additional vitamins/mineral supplement and he started filling out and believe it or not, quieting down.

There are a lot of folks out there more knowledgeable than I am, but this is what my thoughts are (2 cents) for what it's worth.

Good Luck!
Sandy
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.