Re: [RC] Older - Truman Prevatt

Many of the improvements had their origin in the 60's.

Medical imaging (CAT scan, MRI, etc.) - in fact the whole field of
remote sensing that allows us to look where we could not look before.
Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), or imaging radar, is the grand daddy of
all the current imaging technologies. The first concepts for SAR were
patented by then Goodyear Aerospace in the late 50's but the first real
SAR system was built in the early 60's. The technology developed in SAR
led to the exploding field of medical imaging.

Satellites - the first one was launched by the Soviet Union in 1957
(close enough) and in fact introduced the dawn of the information age
and the space race. The space race in the 60's and 70's produced the
technology base that defined our world today.

Corona: In 1960 the US government launched the first photographic
satellite code covername Corona. While it has only been recently
declassified (1995). Corona started an evolution of sensors in space
that today, warns us of hurricanes long before they become a threat,
monitors our environment, provides planners support for response to
natural and man made disasters and explores the far reaches of our
universe.

The transistor was invented by Bell Labs in the 50's but it took to the
mid 60's until the engineers were able make use of it - in reducing the
size and power consumption of a portable radio. It was not uncommon in
the mid 60's for your worth to be judged by the "number of transistors"
in his radio - yep size did matter ;-) . The transistor lead to the
whole revolution of semi-conductor electronics, the silicon chip, the
computer, the personal computer and the sophisticated payloads that can
be put on a satellite....

Civil Rights - In 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King, delivered a speech in
Washington, DC where he proclaimed, "I have a dream..."
A dream of equality of the races in this country. It has taken a long
time but this dream is truer today than ever before.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
"...We're talking about the 60's and 70's ..."

What important things have improved since the 60's?

1. Artificial joints. I have a number of friends who are riding horses with artificial knees or hips.
2. Lens implants. Cataracts usually meant an end of your freedom to drive a car. (I will need implants in a few years)
3. Cancer Childhood cancers were almost always fatal.
4. Pollution. The smog equipment on autos means the air is much cleaner now. No lead in gasoline means less lead poisoning. The rest of the incremental, and thus invisible improvements in the environment.
5. Personal computers and the internet. We now have entered the information age, and out of the industrial age. At least as important as the invention of the printing press. Combined with court decisions, much more freedom of expression. (Of course, you have to pay for your personal freedom by allowing others freedom to express things you do not like)
6. The wilderness act. Perhaps the first ever decision to preserve wild things for the future. (It could be better or different but that is another story)
7. Endangered species act. Even though sometimes used as a club for hidden agendas, it has saved the Eagles, and the Griz, and the Wolf. (Could be better or better if different, but a start)

8. Many other things that escape me right now.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser 2994 Mittower Road Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."    Niels Bohr