Re: [RC] Horses Keep On Giving/Therapeutic Riding/Insurance - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Jen.

EAGALA (Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Ass'n) http://www.eagala.org
typically has several equine-assisted therapy insurers that advertise in
their quarterly magazine. My understanding is that the policies are not that
expensive compared with, say, full-featured riding and jumping programs.
Within a year or so, you should be able to take in enough revenues to cover
your insurance and your own time.

I have worked in both hippotherapy and therapeutic riding for several years.
(Taught a TR session for Stanford Medical School yesterday). We have worked
w/ quarter horses, Arab crosses, Norwegian Fjords, American Cream draft,
Haflinger, and many other breeds. Some programs use mules, minis, or ponies.

Equine therapies--hipptx, TR, Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, and Equine
Experiential Learning--are wonderful opportunities for horses past their
prime, unable to perform in their sport, serviceably sound at walk & trot,
and of a certain temperament to be of use and to work where they are loved
and honored. Great outlet for a retired endurance horse! The programs also
develop in the general public an awareness of and appreciation for
horses---important when those public land use referenda come up.

I hope you can reconsider your plans for a program. PM me if you want some
harder-sell convincing. :-)

Beverley

Horsensei Equine-Assisted Learning & Therapy
Woodside, CA
http://www.horsensei.com