Re: [RC] [RC] Horses Keep On Giving - Maryanne Gabbani

In a different, but related vein, I've been working on getting horseback travel more accepted by our Supreme Council for Antiquities as a means of watching for illegal excavations. The Man With The Hat, Dr. Zahi Hawass, was in charge of Giza before he became the high mucky muck, and there he quite reasonably developed a violent dislike of horseback tourism. The stables in the area are appalling and the ethics of the horse owners and grooms are pretty bad as well. Horses in Giza contribute a great deal to the general decay of the plateau. But it is a very small space in comparison to Abu Sir/Sakkara/ Dahshur. Our area has vast spaces that cannot be patrolled easily by the antiquities staff, but we have a really good and fairly responsible group of stables in the area who use the desert for recreation. We can see that it is in our interest to patrol the area and to keep it safe and clean for our riders. One of the things that I became aware of while riding was the encroachment of the Giza dump on the antiquities area and we are working to arrange a meeting regarding this. I want to propose that Dr. Hawass meet with some of our stables to discuss how we can help him to monitor his desert. For example, if we know where they are excavating or surveying, then we can report unusual activities that don't seem to be authorised. Right now, we have no one to report to.

I don't know how successful I will be, but it's worth a try. The illegal diggers are not just out there for fun either. Not long ago some riders came upon a Jeep out in the desert and the guys in the car proceeded to chase the horses, shooting at the riders. One of the horses was injured badly and one of the riders fell. I heard about it because the rider was from the diplomatic community who ride with me. In general, if I see people in the desert I avoid them. The archaeologists are aware of Dr. Hawass' attitude and don't want to risk losing their license, while anyone else is going to be very unfriendly. Again, the horses are a distinct advantage in spotting unusual activity in the desert. They usually see things long before we do.

Maryanne
Cairo