[RC] Top of the Rock - Suvut

I just got all my stuff dried out from this weekend's ride at Top of the Rock.  I decided to head on up to the ride Thursday after the thunderstorms and try to ride both Friday and Saturday.  Bill Wilson's place had dried out beautifully from the devastating mud at Chicken Chase (and Bill had dumped more gravel) and everyone got their trailers parked uneventfully.

But the rain started again on Thursday night!  We saddled up Friday morning with no rain and thought it was over.  About three miles down the trail, however, the rain started with a vengeance and it rained all day!  The trails turned into running streams and the hills were treacherous.

I was riding my 8 year old gelding who was attempting his first LD after a laminitis attack last August.  I rode with Molly Krumlaw (on her new horse) and we tried to keep each other's spirits up by saying, "I think the rain is JUST about over, don't you?"  LOL  Both our horses navigated the trails nicely and we completed with a ride time of 4-1/2 hours.  We  laughed about the fact that the two of us have SO many miles and yet were SO proud of our LD completion!

I can't even believe I went out AGAIN on Saturday with Sue Keith on HER new horse!  At least the weather on Saturday was gorgeous and the trails had started to dry out some.  But the hills were still a mess.  Sue and I had a blast and our boys traveled well together.  I even trimmed about a half hour off my time from the previous day!  :)

I don't know all the results, but here is what I can remember:  Laurie Tichenor won the 50 on Friday, Lois McAfee and her granddaughter, Kyla were 2nd and 3rd;  Karen Lynd won the 25 and BC on Friday;  Karen Cummings won the 50 and BC on Saturday, and Vickie Crance was 2nd.  I know there were two on the 100 miler and one got pulled, but the other finished at 3:30 a.m.  Sorry I don't know all the other placings.

A HUGE thanks to Bob McAfee for managing this ride under difficult conditions and to ALL the volunteers who stayed out in the cold rain all day Friday to take care of us riders.

Susan (in Louisville)