[RC] bone chip, HELP, long - April Allison

Hiya yall,
I am looking for information on bone chips and recovering from a bone chip in the hock.
An adult friend of mine, Debbie, lives next door to her aging parents. Grandpa has several horses that she has inherited the care of by default. Grandpa has a very umm... old fashioned cowboy...... atitude about the horses and his son (my friends younger brother) has the same atitude.

This fairly young mare has been shown alot and as soon as the saddle touches her she thinks she is supposed to speed rack in big circles. We have been working for 2 months to get her to settle down and be able to relax and not be in "fast" and "show" mode every time she sees a saddle. Grandpa bought her this way, he didn't do it.

Debbie tells her little brother "Don't run that mare in the field. Its too sloppy since the big rain with too many pot holes and she has not been ridden for a long time. (been riding bareback and doing ground work saddled) We are trying to settle her down so she doesn't think she has to gait every time somebody gets on her back."
Little brother says," Its not your horse, its Dads. You don't make a horse ride better walking it around on the ground, you ride it!"

Little brothers answer to the "omg I have a saddle on I have to speed rack" ~ running the snott out of her.  They slid in the mud and right into a pot hole. Mare down. Debbie left to take care of injured mare.
 Lots of swelling. 3 legged horse. 1st vet call. Vet says bute and put her in the small paddock. My aditional advice (not a vet) I have her doing water therapy which seems to be helping the swelling some. My daughter thinks she should wrap it to keep mare from over flexing the joint kicking flys. Keep fly stuff on her as she is twitching and stomping up a storm.
 Debbie is taking care of parents, home, 4 kids of her own, 3 neices, and now 5 horses including the injured one. One of the kids is old enough to help some, the rest are at that stage where you have to watch them every min. Debbie is managing to do water therapy on this mare with one kid on Debbie's hip, one kid holding the lead rope and keeping an eye on the rest of them climbing the fences. (Doing all we can fit into our schedual to help her out.) Mare is getting frequent but not regular water therapy and fly spray as often as possible. Going to teach Debbie how to wrap it without wrapping too tight.
 Second vet call~ x-ray, bone chip in the hock Vet says she will be fine as a brood mare but doesn't think she will ever be rideable again.. bute for 3 weeks, stay in small paddock, nothing else suggested by vet to help
Debbie wasn't there for this vet call, Grandpa was. Debbie is going to call the vet to make sure she has the story right.

???'s
water therapy?   wrap it?  let her stand or walk her a little to improve circulation?   she can do cold water therapy where the horse is but will have to walk mare to house to do warm water,     topical liniment for heat to improve circulation?  follow vets advice, bute and rest, nothing else? could vet have based advice/prognosis on what Grandpa is able to do or to keep Brother from trying to ride her again?
Debbie will do all she can, and can afford, even if it takes years to heal,  She LOVES this mare (yall know what I mean), Debbie will keep her even if she can NEVER be ridden again. She told her Brother if he ever goes against her again, she is going to geld him, and she told Gamdpa the mare  is HER horse now, deal with it.

I have never dealt with a bone chip before but I know yall have. Any advise or links to information would be greatly appreciated. I am looking up all the archive stuff so if its in there already, I'll find it. Thanks for all the stuff in the archives and for yall being here in this group. Debbie was really upset and I told her I know a bunch of horse people who have dealt with lots of bone chip stuff and I would find out everything I could for her. Having people with experience to turn to is the best thing on the internet, next to online tack shops. :o
THANKS
April (and Debbie)
Byhalia