From: Barbara Moulton <outermostsoul@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   A JOYFUL DAY long with questions

Joy the wondermustang has had her foal.  I had a very
important meeting to go to yesterday and was leaving
an hour early so I moved her portable electric fence
to fresh grass to make things easier on the horse
babysitter and she ducked out under the rope/wire and
took off for the trees along the Snake river.  Both
times before when she escaped that is where she
headed- An hour later I caught her and put her into
the smallest drylot pen Horsey jail and hurried to
make it to my meeting 1/2 hour late.
Home at 4:00 ish Heather ran out to meet me and said I
think Joy's in labor.  She did look uncomfortable and
I took her straight to the new foaling compound we
built in the backyard.
We just made it in the gate and she laid down and
delivered a stunning filly.  It was the hottest day so
far this year at the hottest part of the afternoon.
The foal was expected to be be dark bay like Joy and
the stallion or maybe black like Joy's mother and
several horses in the stallions pedigree.  NO she is
bright coppery dun with a dorsal stripe two high white
socks in back and a perfect little blaze.
Must be something from the mustang side of things to
get that color and chrome. both mom and dad had one
tiny little sock and grandmom mustang was jet black
with no white at all

questions now- the filly nurses eagerly and even
aggresively but is stil looking ribby is it normal to
take a few days to fill out? she is EDPP very well.
Should the filly have any kind of shot soon- Joy was
fully vaccinated including WNV on schedule this year.

I sort of imprinted her just felt over her legs and
ears, lips and tried on the halter that was way too
big ( she has such a cute tiny little head with kind
of big ears)i was realy hurtibng from chasing Joy that
morning with my bad legs and have the swelling and
bruises to go along with it.  the first day she was
super friendly but shy today- is this to be expected-
I never had a baby on purpose before so I am not sure.

Joy is from Little Owyhee HMA and the daddy is
Impressive Destiny ( Egyptian arab owned by Shelia
Harmon Eagle ID) any name suggestions since I was
expecting a dark baby the once I was mulling over
don't work

Barbara Joy and shiny penny daughter