Re: [RC] unregistered pure-breds - SandyDSA

In a message dated 6/1/2006 3:38:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, woa@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
then if the person defaults and wants to resell MY HORSE
as yet not fully paid for-- are any of you saying that this person
should have the right to do so? I hope not! Yet it is hard to locate
buyers frequently and even harder to take back a horse
No and it ought to be simpler to repossess a horse with absolutely no issues left to handle for the seller. If someone buys a car and fails to make payments, the car is taken away. Do they get any money back? Of course not. Try asking the lien holder on your house or car about THAT one. Horses theoretically are no different, but because they eat and breathe, buyers often give the sob story - the run off with your horse. My fave is the one where they pay one or two payments then stop paying and THEN won't allow you on the property to get your property so YOU have to file charges! NICE! If I knew 15 years ago what I know now about being possession of stolen property...sigh!

Guys, if you buy or sell horses, aside from choosing the best home you can, don't allow yourself to be conned. Sell ONLY to people who have both the ability to PAY and the ability to then take good care of a horse. seems to me if someone is so hard up they cannot afford too much if any money, they have NO BUSINESS buying a horse. Horses are luxury, can be a business, and to many of us are a real pleasure - but no one is entitled to one just because they WANT one. It takes a lot of time and money to put nice foals on the ground, let alone raise and train them. They deserve great homes, committed owners and as sellers, our hard work is not without value. Our horses? They deserve to go with their heritage intact, whatever it might be.