[RC] arabs, do you need one for endurance???Jennifer - Chrystal Woodhouse

After 3 years of CTR's and mileage rides I jumped into 50's last year, my horse is a Morgan and small ( barely 14.2 and petite) I worried and stressed that she wasn't very big and not an Arab or even an Arab cross. We won the turtle award at our first two 50's( on purpose I was terrified of hurting her)  and I decided to accept  the fact that we would always be close to last and never win anything-- that is o.k.as my horse is my very best friend- and I was not trading her in for an Arab so I could seriously compete. At our third 50 last year ( end of the season) my mare was being a @@##!! pulling and running away on me on the first loop, eventually I though o.k. FINE run your butt into the ground , we will just pull at one of the vet check's when you have tired yourself out and learned that you cannot gallop/canter your way through a 50 mile race- afterall you are tiny and not even an Arab. Well, Miss T taught me that day that she COULD gallop and canter for 50 miles- she came in eighth and yes was tired but not exhausted. This year she has done one 50 and came in 8th again ( her HR's were down to 48 within two minutes when coming in off of the loop, everytime )  and yes we plan to do more!!:-) I have  decided to let her tell me what she can do and not prejudge her. I recently read an article giving tips on doing a 100 miles- one of the things that it said was that one should have an Arab or Arab-cross- I am planning on doing a 100 this October on my little Morgan and after reading that article started having doubts about whether we should as she wasn't an Arab - then remembered that I wasn't going to do that anymore!!!! <g>

To Jennifer and anyone else w/out an Arab , if your horse is sound and likes this sport- go for it!!!

It is waaaaaay better to come in last with your best friend than first without her/him  anyway. :-) :-)

Chrystal ( and Miss T who is actually the competitive one of the two of us  :-) )