Re: Tekes [RC] Arab vs non-Arabs - Lysane Cree

I know what you mean, I have seen some of those really ewe necked, long backed horses too. Definitely not what I would look for in any horse, but it doesn't seem to be viewed as a fault in that breed (I could be wrong....I just got that impression). But I have also seen some really beautiful ones too with great conformation. Guess it just depends...

Lysane

steelsidedown@xxxxxxx wrote:
Well, I had the same thought about the breed (Tekes being the perfect endruance breed or arab cross), so I investigated. Went to a farm several hours away to look at a stallion for my retired endurance mare.

What I found....Tall, ewe necked, thin bodied, crooked legs, and big platter feet (the useless TB type). I felt not one horse on the farm could complete a 25.

Yes this was only one farm, but none of the mares were closely related or related to the stallion. The majority were imported.

My conclusion there is a good reason its a rare breed! But thats just my opinion after visiting one farm -- I'll stick with purebreds!

Jen
(favors QH looking arabs)