[RC] Appaloosa Horse Club 2006 National Championship Appaloosa Endurance Ride - Merry Wicklund

"On June 3, 2006 the ApHC will be holding the first annual 50-mile endurance ride championship. The event will take place in Palmyra, Wisconsin and is being hosted by and held in conjunction with the ApDRA ride. The ride will follow the guidelines and rules set forth by the American Endurance Ride Conference. The ride is open to ApHC members of all ages that are qualified. "  www.appaloosa.com , click on "ApHC Trail Rides", then click on "National Championship Endurance Ride"  or you can go to our website www.hurricaneranch.net and click on the link that appears on the main page.

Bill and I, along with many other Appaloosa endurance enthusiasts have worked very hard to get this established.  It all started in 2004 by forming a Yahoo Group (AppDistRiders) and a callout for all "spots that trot" to join up.  We discussed the possibility of a championship ride and started looking for a ride that we could have an "unofficial" gathering of the spotted horses.  We found this ride at the 2004 LBL Express ride in Kentucky (cudos to Diane and Jerry Fruth).  The turnout was very well supported and the ApHC actually filmed us for a series of 1/2 hr TV shows featuring the Appaloosa horse.  All we needed was the support of the ApHC BOD.  We found enough support through a few board members that were very intersted in endurance riding to get it presented to the BOD and approved and here we are.  This was no easy task as most were not aware of the differences between "Trail Riding" and "Distance Riding" (endurance and CTR).

There are 21 (plus a few late entries I think) horses that will be competing.  An excellent turnout, considering the early date.  Hopefully, in the future this championship will be held later in the year and we are working on locating a ride in the Sep - Nov time frame.

I apologize for not posting this earlier.

Merry Wicklund