RE: [RC] Gaited Horses - Jim Holland

Pete, with all due respect, READ my post....you obviously didn't. Would you
consider it "large person bashing" if someone stated it was not a good idea
for a 300 lb football player to play wide receiver?  I'm not saying you
CAN'T ride ANY horse in Endurance.  Just be aware that it MAY impact the
long term health and soundness of your horse if you ask him to do something
that taxes his physical capabilities. In Endurance, which is an extreme
sport anyway, the Arabian excels....I don't think there is any disagreement
on this point. Just like dogs, each breed has specific a specific physical
makeup that makes it MORE suitable for certain disciplines. For example, an
Australian Shepherd would be a better choice for an agility dog than a
Bulldog, although Bulldogs are allowed to compete in that sport.

If you are comfortable that you are not asking your horse to perform beyond
his capabilities, and his "success" in Endurance will not jeopardize his
well being, go for it.

Personally, I prefer to choose the horse for the discipline I wish to
pursue. If I was interested in barrel racing, my first choice would probably
not be an Arabian.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm