Re: [RC] [RC] Gaited Horses - Lauren E. Reitz

Does a horse have to be selectively bred for thousands of years to have the characteristics you mention? And do they specifically have to have been bred for desert travel? No. It helps up the odds dramatically, but you can't say that an individual horse born of two non-Arab parents CAN'T have all those positive characteristics.

All of your post (Jim's) except the bone density and the breeding I can say also holds true for Thoroughbreds.

I used to compete heavily in volleyball. I might not be the tallest, the most agile or have the most efficient bio-mechanics (my ankles were particularly bum) but I loved playing my sport and I did it well. Better perhaps than some others who might have been 'better bred' for the sport than I (unintentionally I hope!). I got the coach's award. I played with heart. And no coach overlooked me for their team because I wasn't the tallest or the skinniest. I held my own.

And I can relate that to my horse. She might not be an Arabian. She might not have been selectively bred for generations for desert travel, but she has the important characteristics she needs to hold her own and travel the distance in good health. And for me, she IS the BEST CHOICE for an endurance horse. Because I love her and I love riding her and you couldn't trade me the NAERC champion for her. And she loves what she does.

I love Arabians. I grew up riding them. I have no breed predjudice and currently own a Saddlebred, a Percheron and a Mini in addition to my Paint mare.

Breeding does not guarentee suitability and suitability does not only come from great breeding.