Re: [RC] protecting saddle in bad weather - Lysane Cree

Its always tough to let a nice new saddle get soaked or dirty or scratched, but its almost inevitable and the easiest thing is to just clean and condition the leather afterwards.
I ride in a rain jacket if its raining alot, but find those longer jackets kind of bulky and hot after awhile. I find I warm up while I am riding and rain jackets don't breathe that much. I did find it really useful recently to have a rain sheet for my horse - that way when I came in for a vet check and tied my horse at the trailer I could cover the saddle and my horse - it kept my seat dry anyway so my butt didn't get wet.

I have been riding on the muddy trails here and my girth is covered with an inch of mud after each ride. I wipe off all the mud with a sponge and clean it up every few days with leather cleaner. Looks like new afterwards. The best stuff I have found so far is the Passier cleaner and conditioner (Lederbalsam). Its a bit more expensive but really good for hard-working leather. It did a great job on my Ariats too.

Lysane

All new Yahoo! Mail -