RE: [RC] [RC] LQ horse trailer -To Kathy Ramspott - Karen Standefer

I was lucky enough to be able to travel with a friend to Tevis before making my trailer purchase.  She had a brand new trailer with LQ that I was able to sleep in for a week and also drive and park.    Going with her made my decisions easier when I purchased my own.  But, still, having the opportunity to purchase a second one still found me changing several things after living with the first purchase for a while.   I should also say that I live in the Pacific Northwest, so while we do have some hot weather in the summer, we don’t have the humidity and I don’t have a need for an air conditioner which removes the requirement for a generator.  I’ve had my current trailer for almost 4 years.

My friend had an 8’ wide 3h slant , 8’ short wall, with dining table that converted to an extra bed, solar power, no air, no microwave (can’t have those unless you run a generator), full bath, larger refrigerator, back tack, stud wall in first stall, pass through door from bathroom to first stall, stove top (no oven), kitchen sink, stereo factory installed, living quarters door on passenger side, hay rack,  mangers in horse area with separate water pump and water holding for horses built in.

What I decided to order was:

7’ wide 3h slant, , 6’ short wall , rear tack, solar power, smaller fridge, l-shaped couch that didn’t convert, cowboy shower with porta potty in the 1st stall, 1st stall with stud divider, pass through door to first stall, LQ door on driver’s side, hay rack, no mangers, no water for horses built in (carried it in hay rack).  I didn’t want the black water tank, so this setup gave me a gray water tank, with no black water holding tank.    The cowboy shower is a hot/cold shower that goes into the 1st stall.  The water control knobs are on the wall, with a hand held shower.  The shower pan is removable and drains onto the ground through a small hole in the floor of the 1st stall.  The shower surround was a fabric curtain that could be stored if you wanted to put a horse back there.  I found this solution to be fine as long as it wasn’t very cold where we were riding.   When it was cold (frequently in the PNW), we would put a coleman propane heater back there in an attempt to warm up the area, without much success).

That trailer was totaled in a wreck and I had the opportunity to order another.  The new one:

8’ wide 3h slant, 8’ short wall,  rear tack, solar power, LARGE fridge, stove top AND OVEN, full bath, dining table that converts to extra bed (I would do a fold down sofa if I were doing it all over because the dining table that converts is cramped and uncomfortable to eat at), no mangers in the horse area, no pass through door, hay rack (still carry water up there and I love this solution), outside water spigot,  living quarter doors on passenger’s side (I preferred them on the driver side, but the model I wanted couldn’t be configured that way),

I didn’t notice any difference at all when maneuvering the trailer with regard to the width between the 8’ and 7’ trailers.  The 7’ wide trailer is still 8’ wide between the wheel wells, so you still have to maneuver the 8’ width getting in and out of places.  I didn’t care for the mangers in the 8’ wide trailer because they’re really too high for an Arab and they just take up so much room inside that the horse can use to lower his head and clear his airway if necessary.  I love the stud wall in the 1st stall because when I go to a ride, I used that area as a mid-tack and put all my large things (hay, picknick table, feed, etc) in there.  The stud wall keeps things safely out of the horse area.  Also, an escape door to the first stall is necessary so that you have easy access to that area.   You can also store corral panels in there (I have mine on the back of my trailer with a swing gate that really works slick).  Dumping the black water tank just ended up not being a big deal and I really, really enjoy having the shower inside where I can turn on the heat if it’s cold.  I don’t miss the pass through door between the bathroom and first stall, because I just don’t have a need to go out there since the bathroom isn’t there anymore.   I love having solar power.  I have never run out of power yet, even when camped up in the mountains and running the heater all night.  I do have 3 ceiling vents and two of them have circulating, thermostat controlled fans for good ventilation since I don’t have air conditioning (one over the bed, one in the kitchen area and another in the bathroom).  I also LOVE having the oven and I wouldn’t even consider the small fridge again………….just get the large one!

I would definitely shop the used trailers before buying brand new.    You’re likely to be able to find a 10 year old trailer that is a really good deal and has very little wear on it.

Karen Standefer

Referenced Post:

Has anyone ever heard of renting or leasing a horse trailer with LQ? I know everyone has different preferences so it doesn't really do any good to ask what folks look for in a trailer but if you've only had a 2 horse bumper pull and want to dive in and get a trailer with LQ how did you all decide what your preferences are without trying them out first? For example, I'd love a trailer with a shower but they are so much more expensive, then I read about a "cowboy shower" and have no idea what it is or if it would be what I am wanting. Or mid tack versus back tack area, I'm not sure what I would like better. Anyone in the SE willing to rent/lease a truck and trailer for a week or two? :-)

Thanks for any input.

Kathy R - SE