[RC] Completion awards - Lynn White

With all the discussion about ride awards it got me
thinking about the ride that I am putting on and all
the costs associated with it.  Do any of the people
complaining really know how much effort and up front
costs there are involved with putting on a ride?  Even
before I decided to put on a ride myself I was darn
thankful that there were local people putting on rides
so I wouldn't have to spend nine zillion bucks on gas
and wear and tear on my old truck to get to a ride 300
plus miles away.  I don't ride for the completion
awards, I ride for the satisfaction of finishing a
ride and having fun.  The completion award is a really
nice mememto. I've gotten key chains that I was darned
proud to get.  Endurance is still the most economical
of the horse comptetition sports around, and ride
management has to do things to keep costs down. I'm
not saying that I am skimping on the completion awards
at my ride, but I'm not going hog wild either.
Everything is going up, from gas and vet fees to food,
supplies, and permits.  I enjoy thinking of completion
awards, but I'm not going to loose sleep over the
size, type, or if someone is going to like it or not.
There are much more important things to think about
when managing a ride.

http://mail.yahoo.com