Re: [RC] T-Shirts & Ride Management - Truman Prevatt

While I haven't run a ride in quite a while - and whining because of shirt size was a contributor to that - I can tell you the Tee shirt issue is one that takes an inordinate amount of time.

First you don't know the distribution of sizes that are going to show. Second even if you did you don't know the distribution of the sizes that are going to finish. Given that there are a few tiny hinies that gets religion and donates the shirt to her crew - usually a X-large ;-) . If you guess wrong you have a bunch of small and mediums left over and not enough larger sizes.

Riders tend not to pre-register and the shirt makers tend to want the order finalized a month prior to the ride so unless you close your ride entries a month prior you are only still guessing at size and number.

A rider can always wear a size too big - they can't wear a size too small so there is incentive to get more large and X-large. Some smalls are too small - even for many juniors so some ride managers don't even mess with smalls since they would be stuck with them. Most ride managers plan to have to have more shirts than they will use just in case and eat the extra cost.

On the other hand, riders seem to like Tee shirts more than any other completion award. Ball caps would be a lot easier.

All the ride managers I have seen bust their butts to put on a quality ride. Most do well to break even financially and that's still with eating all the cost of their gas to run around find prizes, marking trail, etc and that can mount up at 3 bucks a gallon. The first priority is accurately measured and well maked trail and a sufficient number of good vets. Everything else is gravy.

I really like rules Megan Davis uses on her ride. She has two rules. The first is NO WHINING. The second is if you ever think about whining see the first. It makes for a much more pleasant weekend that way. Speaking of Megan's ride - I also really like her "hold block" concept.

Cheers,
Truman

Alexa Olney wrote:

I know that it is upsetting when there aren't any
shirts in your size at the end of the ride. But isn't
the saying to finish is to win. Having been ride
managment if your biggest problem is not enough of the
right sized shirts you are really happy. Anyone who
has not done ride management has no room to talk. Shirts have to be order way ahead of time and you
don't know how many riders you are going to have. Many of the entries, deadline or not, change and
arrive in the last week. If someone at the printing
shop messes up there is no time to fix that seeing
that ordering is put off to the very last minute which
is usualy about a month before the ride. Please thank
your ride managers don't put them down for trivial
things like this. It makes them not want to do this
again because believe me their thoughts after the ride
usualy include: why did I do this and I'm never dpoing
this again.

Sincerely,
Alexa Olney

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell