[RC] Does weight division matter? - k s swigart

Jennifer Adam said:

I am a featherweight according to AERC. I finally found
the endurance saddle I really like, but it only weighs 17
pounds. Still not enough to bump me into the next division.
My husband teases me and tells me to buy the heaviest
saddle I can and to put weights in my boots so they let
me ride! Does it really matter?

Since nobody else seems to actually want to answer this question but
instead make jokes about wishing THEY had the same problem, I guess I
will.

No, weight division does not matter.  If you sign up as a featherweight,
not only does weight division not matter, but how much you weigh doesn't
matter either.

All AERC rides are open to riders of all weights.  Tevis used to have a
requirement that you had to weigh in at more than 165 pounds to win the
Tevis Cup itself (and, presumably, the Haggin Cup), but you didn't have
to meet that minimum in order to enter, nor to win the AERC ride.  And
after a controlled scientific study was done for at least a couple of
years running that demonstrated no correlation between rider weight and
outcome, I think that is when they decided to drop the requirement.
Probably because they had small people asking the same question, "Where
do I PUT the weight I have to add to make the minimum?"

If you have found a saddle that is right for you and your horse, use it.
Don't worry about how much it weighs, or about how much you weigh with
it.  You can enter any AERC ride you want no matter how much you weigh.

If you want to compete at FEI, you do have to meet the minimum weight
requirement (75 kg); however, were I a self-proclaimed "newbie" this
would be the least of my concerns.

kat
Orange County, Calif.