Re: [RC] Bitless Bridle [tm] - luv2ridefar

I used one for several months on my Arab mare that had bitting issues.  I liked it for the most part but now that I am able to use an egg-butt snaffle, I feel like I have more control.  She has a light mouth and no runaway issues.  I was using the bitless in training with cattle and western horsemanship and the change to a snaffle gave me noticeably more ability for fine-tuning her movement.  Out on the trail with the bitless she did fine except for one or two times when she became excited and I just felt like I wasn't able to circle her or otherwise control her like I wanted to.   The bitless works on different principles as it is 'pulling' their head with pressure on the opposite side from the way you are wanting their head to go.  Unlike the bit that is a direct pull in the desired direction. Hope this is helpful.

Patsy

----- Original Message ----
From: Nik Isahak Abdullah <drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:03:00 AM
Subject: [RC] Bitless Bridle [tm]

Can someone in the know comment on this issue of Bitless Briddle with
respect to endurance.I have an American expatriate email friend in Kuala
Lumpur who is in dressage and does hacking with her horses which I presume
is non arab,probably warmblood or thoroughbred.She is full of praise of the
change in behaviour of her horses and better control.This is not the
hackemore nor the bossal type of bitless briddle.
Anyone has experience with this.Since it is relatively appear painless for
the horse  I am quite worried about the degree of control one have over the
horses especially at the start of a ride.