[RC] Grouchy Mustang - Tracy Blue

I, too, rescued a mustang 1 1/2 years ago. Had the same experience; couldn't come near him for weeks, couldn't touch him for months. Took at least a year to gain his trust and train him. (He also experienced troubling times).

 He is still a one person horse. I took him to an endurance ride last Fall. Explained to the vets I had been working with him, but he had 'issues'. I asked if they would do a 'pretend' vet in during their slower time. They agreed and worked with him beautifully.
When he came back for the actual vet in, I just reminded them about the situation and they were very helpful.  Took him to another ride this spring and did the same thing.
Vets were very helpful (yeah Dr. Dean and Dr. Anne!!)

I still work with him, have other people touch him and do things, but I doubt his situation will ever improve to the point he is actually comfortable and willing. He has so much self preservation.

My suggestion is just ask anyone and everyone. Talk to the vets, ride managers, whoever may be willing to help and just be accomodating, as it is above and beyond their usual tasks.
Good luck!
Tracy Blue