Re: [RC] my mustang hates dogs - Ibiteraaarr

Perhaps if you have the dog around while the horse is tied if you are working around her, and offer her treats when the dog approaches. Anything to associate positive reinforcement. On the other hand, it might not be such a bad thing. My horse is a tremendous dog bully. I think mostly in part because he tends to be on the bottom of the pecking order, and he knows he can throw his weight around with dogs, if not with other horses. My poor unsuspecting Doberman follows me into the pasture regularly and has learned the hard way to stick close to me, or either give Loki a wide berth, as Loki will actually go out of his way to charge dogs and trample and strike at them with his front feet. To be honest, I don't discourage this behavior. I don't like him going after my dogs obviously, but at the same time,this is a VERY handy source of confidence when we're out riding and are approached by roaming dogs. It really aggravates me when I have to deal with other people's dogs. Even if they are barking and charging, Loki will bow up and move towards them. I keep him under check, but I allow him to drive them off. If the dog's owner happens to be around, which is usually not the case, I will let them know my horse is intolerant of dogs. I never have to worry about dogs startling him and freaking him out.

Liz Dorner
SW Region