[RC] ctr obstacles asked for - Sue Singletary

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: website or link

Sue -
LeeAnn Dreadfulwater posted them in the files section of the chat list. "CTR Skillis List"

I will cut and paste it below:

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 01:20:27 -0600
From: "James McDonald" <jamesmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: What to Do ??

To those of you that are newbies, wannabe's, lurkers, or what ever you want to call yourself, I have read over the winter with interest your many questions, and concerns about CTR and what to expect or what is expected at a CTR. As you have probably noticed by now active CTR riders and even those that don't really ride alot are varied in their opinion. With the new season beginning to get closer I offer for your information one more list to consider. It is certainly not a complete list of what a rider might do at a CTR but it is a list of thin! gs I try to include in my training everytime I get on my horse. This list includes things that my horse and I have either done or been ask to do at almost every ride. First of all this is competitive riding, and not just a pleasure ride. Pleasure and fun should certainly be the primary objective of a CTR and usually is when you have trained well and your horse performs as you have asked. CTR may not be for everyone, but I have not met very many that didn't enjoy some part of a CTR. Keep in mind, that once you have checked in with ride management and received your numbered vest (you are subject to be judged by a vet or horsemanship judge the rest of the week-end until you make your final check out on sunday. This is no big deal. If you remain alert to your horses needs all week-end, try to be as safe as possible, and smile as often as possible the worst thing you will experience is someone might deduct some points from your score. And believe me the longer you participate in! CTR the more points you will loose. BUT BIG DEAL, IT'S ONLY POINTS !!

My first ride ever, I lost 8 points for finishing the first day late and didn't really know what they were talking about when they told me Saturday night. I was still having fun and could still ride Sunday. I went to my second ride ever at an out of region ride where I didn't know anyone. I slept in my pick-up bed and had peanut butter to eat. Fortunately a sweet young gal named Cheri Jeffcoat was parked next to me and invited me over for dinner and introduced me to a few others. It was also another one of my QH's first ride ever and he won our first, 5th place ribbon, I was hooked and that was 5 years ago. Don't worry about what you don't know, just Enter, Go, and let the Points fall where they may. Follow, do what everyone else is doing, smile, and if you must, ASK QUESTIONS ! Now the hard part. Ha! Train before you go, and as often as possible. Remember this is "Competitive Trail Riding"! And the philosophies of NATRC are listed in the front of our rule book. You! should read them, there are five. My list below is certainly not a complete list and if you and your horse cannot perform them you will loose points, But Big Deal, Its only Points and the primary reason you are there is Pleasure and Fun. Good Luck this season, Just Do It, and "Come Ride With Us"

What to Do

From the Ground:
Trot in Hand.
Longe in Hand.
Reverse direction of Longe.
Mount with horse remaining still.
Dismount with horse remaining still.
Off side mount with horse remaining still.
Off side dismount with horse remaining still.
Back between two objects. (trees)
Back uphill.
Back around an object. (tree)
Back over a log.
Side Pass.
Allow Strangers to pick up their feet and rub and push all over them.
Stand calm for 10 min. (around other horses)

While Mounted:
Back between two objects. (trees)
Back uphill.
Back around an object. (tree)
Back over a log.
Side Pass.
Step over a large log, stop and stand. (sometimes dismount and remount)
Side pass over a log, both directions.
Open and Close a gate.
Walk over a bridge.
Stop and backup on a bridge.
Turn on the forequarters.
Turn on the hindquarters.
Walk up hill. (no rushing)
Walk down hill (no rushing)
Stop on a Incline and ! tie a ribbon on limb.
Trot for 30 minutes without stopping.
Trot a figure eight.
Trot, stop when told.
Trot over a log. (no breaking stride)
Canter with a designated lead.
Canter, stop when told.
Cross Water.
Back into Water.
Go down the side of a deep revine.
Go Up the side of a deep revine.
Drag a bucket or large limb.
Put on and take off a rain coat.

Condition your horse enough to maintain a pulse below 52 bpm after 10 min. rest.
Hug the Judges !
Do all of the above without hesitation and you may loose only 8 points for being late.
Smile and have fun. Its only points :)
Good Luck !