Re: [RC] [RC] An ounce of prevention - Rosalie Marley

4 weeks ago I went for a quiet walk in the empty pasture on my retired gelding.  I used his normal saddle and pad, a synthetic english trail model with a shaped tolkat woolback pad.  But evidently I didn't girth up tightly enough.  On a sharp turn, at a walk, I shifted my weight to the outside - and the saddle spun!  In twenty years of riding, I've never had that happen!  Once I was at 90 degrees to the horse, I fell and landed under him.  All this at a walk!

He was unbalanced and took a step to keep from tipping over (and landing on me), however he stepped on my leg.... a heckuva bruise, but no broken bones.  It did break the skin and I have spent the last 3 weeks on antibiotics fighting a skin infectin (cellulitis) and it appears it will be a few more weeks before the tenderness goes away enough to put my leg on a horse.  No breast collar, heck we were just going for a walk.  He has great withers and normally holds a saddle well.  I think had I used a breast collar, it would have slowed down my spin enough to recover my balance before the "tipping point".  Instead I am missing about a month and a half of riding...

Rosalie