[RC] LBL Express ~ OPPS - JANUSTUDIO

LBL EXPRESS 2006, 50 MILES ON FRIDAY

First off, the big OPPS ~ I want to apologize to all the fifty milers that had to put up with my fractious horse, and my own lack of etiquette… My only excuse is that I truly did not realize that the controlled start was after the creek, rather than when we left Jerry at the road. I wasn't able to attend the Thurs. night riders meeting, but Greg had heard that part on Wed. night, which I also attended, so no excuses there either…

Again, a big "I'M SORRY!!" I was gently reminded of my blunder by Greg at that evenings BBQ! I was floored…but looking back I SHOULD have realized that something was up when all the front runners were still walking along through and beside the creek. I think my riding partner (whom I won't name to protect the innocent) even said, "Why is everyone still walking?"  I should have had a DUH moment, however I was focused totally on keeping my boy going forward, rather than straight up, at the time, the comment went right over my head…too much cool air freezing my brain I guess.

We try to start at the end of the pack so as to keep Slick's brain semi engaged, but it wasn't to be at this ride. If he sees a horse ahead, his only thought is to get to it as soon as possible with whatever evasive action it takes to trick his rider into doing so.

I ride the Arabian side of him for the first couple of loops, then his Quarter horse side slowly comes into being. Not to say that the Arab side doesn't reappear without warning…Thankfully, the Arab side is his great recoveries, and the QH side is so pleasant to ride once it appears. I still have hopes that the two will come to a nice blend.

Other than our very exciting turbo charged start we had a great ride!  The facilities at Land Between The Lakes has to be the best in the country. It was so nice to have electricity, a level parking spot, shade trees, and was even able to see my horse in his stall while laying in bed… How much better can it get?  Well, a well managed ride for one. Jerry and Diane had everything well in hand and got us all out and then back along some wonderful scenery.  Thanks to all the volunteers that make our sport possible. The radio spotters made us feel safe. The Pulse takers, were on the spot, the vets were thorough, the scribes were diligent, and as always our own SE region's top time keeper, Nancy, makes one and all feel like winners with her smile and friendly reminders to have fun, all the while doing those figures.

And just for icing on the cake, the weather was PERFECT for horse and man alike. It was like a wonderful fall day.  Cool, clear and sunny.  The trail was challenging in that it was muddy, with lots of rocks, and because of the rain we did have a lot of hard service riding, but that couldn't wipe the smile off our faces.
The riders on Thursday did not have it so lucky and had to deal with the rain, and we left after the Saturday starters, but it looked as though another good day was in the making.

I have to bow deeply to those riders and their tough horses that can do all three days. My boy might be able to do a couple, but my body would be a big hamper to his doing so. I don't think I could take enough Advil to stay up off his back for that long, day after day.

Even though he can be a real pill at times, I have to thank my horse, Slick for carrying me over the course and allowing me to have so much fun.  And finally to my riding partner, Mary Lynn Stockdale, another 'thank you' for her nearly always upbeat attitude while we are whining about this or that, that happens to be hurting at the time. Keeping up with such a forward moving horse like Breezze keeps Slick from slacking when his QH side wishes to take over…

So glad to have finally made it to the LBL Express. Hope to make it an annual trip. Thank you, Jerry and Diane ~ <G>

Janice & Slick