[RC] another Auburn break-in - Ann Blankenship

As most of you have heard there seems to be a rash of
car/truck break in's at staging areas. It happened to
me yesterday - Jan 12,2006 at a small staging area off
Auburn Folsom Rd and Lamida
Ln (on the way to Sterling Point staging area). These
guys knew what they were doing. I was gone under 2hrs,
I did have my purse in the truck hidden under a down
vest. They punched in the lock on the passenger door
(and my truck has an alarm) and just took my purse and
vest. They also pulled the valve stem on one of my
front tires to disable me. My credit cards were used
within a couple of hours, not only my master card but
also my Sears. Some things I have learned. File a
report. I did and have been asked by most of my credit
card companies if I had filed. I also learned that my
road side assistance (Good Sam) will not cover
vandalism so I was going to have to pay for my tire to
be changed (kind of hard to do when you have no
purse). I also filed a claim with my insurance
company. We will see how that goes. I am told by them
that is covered under the comprehensive loss (which I
highly recommend a $50 deductable amt - does not
increase your premium very much and windshields are
cover then at ususlly no cost to you)and the loss
should not increase my over all premium amount ( it
has never increased with a windshield claim and we
have had several of those). Also if you have a credit
card associated with your car ins company ask them to
tranfer you to that department and cancel immediately.
If either they or myself had thought of that at the
time thousands would not have been charged to that one
card.  I highly recommend riding with a charged cell
phone. I was fortunate to have mine, although where I
was at I could have found a phone to use but being
able to stay at my vechile was really helpful. I think
carrying a small flat wallet with a drivers license,
credit card and maybe some cash is the way to go and
leave the purse/wallet at home. At least if your
vechile is still broken into there is no purse/wallet
to steal. Fortuatley I also had food and WATER for my
horse. So glad I did as we were there for over 2 hours
waiting. My house keys were also taken and  living in
ALT I notified security and they have flagged my lot
number. I have also learned from my credit card
companies where and when the cards were used and have
relayed this information to the sheriff. Hopefully all
this information can help others out and maybe prevent
this from happening to you. Heidi Babcock