[RC] 100's & goals - Dream Weaver

this is one of my favorite quotes, from Winston Churchill:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

That sort of sums up what endurance is all about for me. Just because you are successful today doesn't mean that you will be tomorrow, or the next day, and just because you don't finish a ride, doesn't mean that you aren't going to learn from it and continue on. We wouldn't know very much if we didn't have the luxury of learning from our mistakes.

As far as goals go, I like having a goal or a reason to try something. Like starting in this sport because I wanted to ride the Tevis. Then I realized how much fun it was and how much I liked riding my horses that also love going down the trail. Now I have long term goals, usually factored over an entire ride season and long term because the one thing I've learned after riding as many miles as I have is patience. Now I look at what the categories are for the West and Pacific South regions 100 mile horse recognition programs are ( http://100mileriders.com/default.asp ) and think, hmmm, I just need to do 5 more 100's on Chief for him to be a Gold level horse, and Rocky and Weaver are both over that level, so maybe I should just do 9 more 100's on Chief to reach Platinum, because it'll be something I haven't done before. Now I have a new goal. Besides attempting to have Chief reach 5000 miles at the 20 Mule Team 100 next month. If we fail to finish, that's all, we won't be failures, we'll just figure it out and try again next time. I'm really looking forward to riding him in the dark.

Karen
in NV

P.S. and I'm going to have a GPS, cell phone and the brightest goddanged headlamp you ever saw.....so I won't get lost or mis-directed by drunk hoodlums this time http://donerailfarm.com/qsendurance/files/20muleteam2004.html