Re: [RC] good rides ever organized by amateurs? - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 1/13/2006 4:42:54 PM Central Standard Time, lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Is it possible for an amateur to organize a successful ride?  I'm
curious because I suddenly have access to a large private property that
would be perfect for a hundred-mile ride, possibly even a single loop
100-miler.  I can't really imagine pulling it off myself, but perhaps
there's an experienced someone in Southern Washington or central Oregon
who would be interested in adding a ride to the region's calendar.

My advice is to go for it Mary!  We were in just that situation last year...access to some private property that we thought would be good for a ride.  We kept thinking that "someone" should do a ride there, and eventually realized that it wouldn't happen unless we did it.  So I, my husband, and several riding buddies put on a 2-day ride that went off pretty well.  A huge benefit was that one of us - my friend Rae - is super organzized and did a bang-up job as ride secretary.  We divided up the jobs, had planning meetings, and it all worked out.  It really wasn't as hard as we thought it would be.  We were all exhausted at the end, but it was very satisfying.  This year we're moving it to the National Forest, which means more work scouting/mapping trails, but it's coming together nicely.  :)  Get some folks to help you, and give it a shot...you won't regret it.

Dawn in East Texas