RE: [RC] de-elevators and increasing 100 mile-riders - Mary Krauss

Seems two threads this week are paradoxical: one suggests that some of you would like to see more people complete 100 mile rides; the second suggests that endurance riding in general is becoming whimpier as the "sport" becomes more popular.
A couple of thoughts:
*A long-distance runner, I don't recall marathoners being irritated by the ascendancy of 10K's and half-marathons. We saw them both as ends unto themselves and/or steppingstones to the next distance up. Marathoners continue to be respected as just a little beyond those mere mortals who run shorter distances, but. overall, MANY more people came into running--and eventually some of them went all the way up to marathoning--because of those shorter distances.
*as a high school teacher very proud of winning, simultaneously, awards as "hardest teacher" and "favorite teacher" in a school known for its rigor, I understand the fear of lowering standards. Lowered standards hurt everyone. But, at the same time, I don't understand a fear of giving credit for accomplishment. Giving "partial credit" is not the same thing as giving credit for nothing. It's simply what it says it is, credit for doing part of something rather than all of something. There's no room for moralizing in that.

By the way, I wouldn't be too quick to brag about having slept in a crib painted in lead paint--people might start to look at you funny. :-) Betcha you wouldn't paint your horse's stall with lead paint. Some new ideas are simply better than the old way.

Mary K who would jump right into a 100 mile ride but fears that her horse will die doing so.