RE: [RC] question on selenium levels.... - Jim Holland

Selenium testing is, IMHO, kinda hokey.  The “numbers” used by different labs also vary.  I went through all this with Magic when he stiffened up in the hind quarters on two 100 attempts.

His first sample was tested by Oklahoma State Diagnostic Lab.  It came back .09ppm with “normal” being listed as .14-.25ppm.  Supplemented 1mg per day for 60 days and retested.  Came back as .07ppm. I also had Sunny tested at the same time.  He was at .02.  Huh?

Hmmm….OK…regroup.

Started giving him a little over 5mg per day for 60 days and retested, but this time asked the vet to use a different lab. The sample was sent to M&M Laboratories in Milan, MI.  The result was 277mg/ml, with normal being listed as 160-275mg/ml.  This is on the high end of normal, just where I wanted him to be.  He (and Sunny) has been on this supplement since last fall:

http://www.uckele.com/shopping/agora.cgi?cart_id=3296555.15062*pO1OI5&p_id=ese10x&xm=on&ppinc=search2

It’s reasonably priced and shipping is free if you buy $100 of it.

I consulted with Dr. Ken Marcella regarding the SE shots.  There is SOME toxicity danger here and he recommended that unless Magic was stumbling around the pasture, I take the time to go with supplements, adjusting the dosage until the levels were high normal.

I will test both Sunny and Magic again this spring before I start competing seriously again. I don’t know what all this means, but I don’t think Selenium testing is too exact a science and you may get differing results from different labs, using different measurements. Obviously Parts Per Million (PPM) and Milligrams per Millileter (mg/ml) are two very different measurements and I haven’t really found anyone who can clarify the testing procedures used and exactly what reference they are using.  There seems to be no real standard measurement for Selenium.

For what it’s worth….caution is in order here.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland

Three Creeks Farm

175 Hells Hollow Drive