[RC] 100's - Bruce Weary DC

Maybe it's time we each examine what goes through our heads as we think about, talk about and participate in endurance riding and all it's preparation. If we often hold images in our minds of our personal glory, awards, our position in the standings, mileage, braggin' rights, what we can hang on our walls, or a buckle to hold our pants up with, we must accept the other side of the equation that accompanies this approach. By definition, when these "rewards" don't show up in the manner and degree we would like, we find ourselves still in the sport but unhappy, unfulfilled, and maybe campaigning for changes that would make it easier to achieve those good feelings again. We set ourselves up for this because of how we define what criteria must be met for us to agree to feel good about our efforts.
Just a suggestion, but maybe it's more like raising children. Lots of hard work and challenges, and sometimes others compliment us on our efforts and results. But we never set out to raise our children for the compliments we might receive. And many times it's not even fun. But in the end, after the long and grand effort is expended, reflecting back on the entire experience is what gives us a lasting feeling of pride and satisfaction. 100 mile rides are a lot like that, I think. "Heaven helps the man who fights his fears." Fight the fear. Enter a 100, put your back into it, and see what happens. You will be changed, I guarantee it. Bruce Weary