Re: [RC] Tents vs LQ - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Dear Tent Camper:

Yes, most of us do use some sort of LQ in the trailer....there might be a reason for that.  The evolution of the camping at rides has come a long way...we once did "crawl", but now are camping straight up.  Having participated in all of the versions of camping, I know first hand the hardship of each.  Let me give you an idea.

Tents:  Good for getting wet, cold, bitten by ants, blown away in storms, run over by loose horses running thru camp and "not-so-soft" sleeping.  (If that other stuff doesn't wake you)

Truck Cabs:  This is a far cry better than the tent in some regards.  It has you out of the ants/bugs, protected from the loose horses and wind, dry, but can still be cold.  Only works however if you are the size of Angie....not over 5' 2".  Otherwise, you will be riding the horse in a "semi-permnant" position of a jockey.

Back of Horse Trailer:   This is like moving up from a one bedroom apartment to a small house.  But, will a lot less conviences.  Out of the wind, rain and horses.  Can accomadate a heater, so can be warmish.  No bugs..usually.  More room for your "stuff" and some privacy for changing and doing other things that nature brings on.  But, can have that slight horsey fragance....no matter how much Pine Sol you use.

Van and/or Camper shell:  A little more room than the truck cab, but not as much as the horse trailer.  Again, with a little imagination,  you can have a small bedroom and pott-a-potty  in the back of a large Ford Econoline.   Complete with curtains and bed covers.  Remember the vans back in the 60 and 70's?  Take that "love shack" and put a horsey twist on it and your there. Can have a small heater and be dry.

Horse Trailer Dressing room: Now you are getting somewhere.  You can give the impression of LQ's IF you do some things.  Tape a white cooler onto the top of the trailer...nobody will know it isn't a real air conditioner.  Mount some metal tool boxes up under the gooseneck or on the tonge for a Bumper pull for your "batteries and water heater".   Put up curtains and  they won't know that you don't have a big screen TV, microwave, full bath, bench seat with storage and eating table...you get the picture?  In truth, you can have a small gas heater, blow up bed (that leaks) with a sleeping bag, a plastic trunk to throw your junk in,  and a small rug...just to make it seem homey.

Now, the next logical step is to mortgage your house, cash out your kid's college fund, fake a death to collect the insurance money, talk your parents into an advance on your inheritance and then, MAYBE you could buy the real thing.

To answer the question: Does anybody camp in a tent at a ride????  Only Angie will go to ride with that little 2 horse bumper pull,  strap up her tarps for awnings and be happy as a pig.  So there.

Jody and the girls.

Mel Cochran <brio_gal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey guys!

I have been reading and noticing that most of you seem to have LQ trailers.
I was thinking that when I actually make it to a ride, I would camp in my
tent. Am I going to be the only *ijit* out there "roughing it?"

I am an avid backpacker and have all of the gear I need. I actually like
sleeping in a tent!

Is there any reason that tent camping is bad at and endurance ride? I could
sleep in my dressing room if there is some sort of tent taboo.

Just curious as I have no experience whatsoever and am gathering info.

Thanks!

Mel