Re: [RC] Kiger Mustang ? - Charlene Large

I have a 20+ yr old mare of unknown breeding that I am
positive is a mustang, but not sure of what origin
because she has no freeze brand. I suspect she was
born in captivity. I am curious that she may be of
this group because her markings are so primitive. My
other mustang, from palomino valley, NV, looks nothing
like this mare. Let me describe:

14.1-14.2
body type very similar to those in the pictures on
this link
rich golden buckskin in color
heavy dorsal stripe
heavy cobwebbing on face
stripes on legs
shoulder stripe-black-but is partially hidden under
prominent white patch that is placed and shaped like
shoulder stripe
tall, above knee stockings on forelegs (stripes above)
and here's the cool part--long, black tipped ears--the
black covers HALF the back of the ear, ceasing in a
hard horizontal line, about half way down.
also has splash of white on belly

Does this sound like any other mustang strain beyond
this Oregon based, spanish bunch? The markings are so
definate, and unlike any of the other mustangs I have
researched, except these. Do you know of anyone else
that has one with those ears?

Any input you may have would be wonderful.
Thanks,
Charlene

--- Ellen Zawada <zephyrcreek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        There had been rumors for years of "spanish
type" herds in Oregon, but the land was so rough and
rugged that the BlM had not been able to round them
up.  In the late 70's the BLM started using
helicopters to round up, catalog, and brand the wild
horse herds.  This allowed them to access horses
that had little influence by man or ouside horse
herds.  As the trucks started to roll in the BLM
noticed an amazing thing, many of these horses has
similar "spanish type" charecteristics.  The were
dun with flowing manes and tails and had primitive
markings( dorsal stripes, face masks, zebra stripes,
wither bars, etc.).  They were also confirmationally
very similar which is not the norm in wild herds.
29 of the best were released on Steens Mountain in
the Kiger and Riddle HMA's.  Every 3-4 years the
herds are rounded up and cataloged.  The best of the
best go back to the wild, and the others are offered
to the public for adoption.  Over 25 years later
there are 100's of Kigers
 registered in the Kiger Mesteno Association or
Steens Mountain Kiger
  Registries.  We are doing our best to preserve
this genetic treasure.

  Ellen

Zephyr Creek Kigers
http://community.webshots.com/user/zephyrcreek

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add
photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Charlene

http://mail.yahoo.com