[RC] More on 100 mile horse program - KimFue

I know that there was some discussion that a 100 mile horse program will not or does not encourage riders to try the 100 mile distance.  In the PS regional 100 mile horse recognition,  there were two goals in setting this up.  One was definitely to recognize PS horses competing at the 100 mile distance.  The second was to ENCOURAGE riders to try the 100 mile distance.  Along with the different recognition levels, this program recognizes both the rider and horse's FIRST 100 mile completion.

We have six horse/rider teams enrolled that have never ridden a 100.  As this program was started late in the 2005 ride season, there have been no 100 mile rides in our region.  It will be interesting to see how many of these teams attempt and/or complete their first 100 over the coming ride season.   I do believe that programs like this can be an incentive for riders to try the 100 mile distance.  So what if the majority who try a 100 decide it is not for them.  If you can hook even a small number of new 100 mile riders with an incentive or awards program you have NEW 100 mile riders.

I am not suggesting that AERC set up their 100 mile medalion program so that riders/horses be recognized for completing their first 100.  But I do believe that that programs both at the regional as well as the national level recognizing the 100 mile horse will eventually benefit that distance in terms of numbers.  If the National organization does not spot light 100 mile horses/ riders as something special or does not promote that distance as a goal to strive for why would the membership strive to be 100 mile riders?  I feel that when there is only 1 National award for the 100 mile distance it speaks volumes as to how the organization values the distance.

I hope a 100 mile medalion program does get started at the National level.  As we redefine how we "recognize/award" limited distance horses at both the National and Regional level it would be really important to balance this with recognizing horses at the other end of the competition spectrum, the 100 mile distance.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648