[RC] Public Trails - k s swigart

Heidi said:

The ride manager has a specific permit for those trails
for that day, and as such, has every right to insist that
unentered horses not be out there.  Think of it as being
like a public campground--if all the spaces are full, the
campground host can turn people away, even though
it is "public."

I have never been to an endurance ride where the ride managers were
given the exclusive use of public trails, and I can't imagine any public
land manager issuing such a permit.  At every ride I have ever been to
that has trails on public land, we have had to share the trail with
other users.  Not saying that it never happens, just that I've never
known it to happen, and itnever even occured to me that anybody would
think that land managers who allow endurance rides on public lands
should close the trails to other users while the ride is going on.

I have, on many occasions, encounterd bicyclists, motorcyclists, hikers,
hunters, and other non-entered equestrians at endurance rides.  In fact,
I quite possibly owe my life to one of the other users of public lands
at an endurance ride, since I am told it was a man and his son out
hunting turkeys that provided the communications to call the paramedics
when I had my little accident at the Grand Canyon Ride.

Let's not start expecting to be granted exclusive use of the trails when
we have endurance rides on public lands.  That is not going to endear
endurance riders to ANYBODY.

kat
Orange County, Calif.