RE: [RC] An ounce of prevention - Becky Rohwer

A couple years ago I was riding behind Mona Thacker in a Washington ride.
We were going up a steep mountain trail.  She had forgotten her breast
collar that day.  The cinch was loose and the saddle slid back putting the
girth in the flank area.  The horse reared, dumped Mona, rolled over her,
then commenced to buck, kick, fall, roll, get up, and start the procedure
all over again about 6 times before he finally kicked the saddle off.  It
was just frightening.  I was back far enough that my horse and I didn't get
caught in the middle of the wreck.  The horse was unscathed in the end even
though he had bucked and rolled through a heavy patch of black berry bushes.
I got off and went to Mona.  She was lying on the ground.  I told her not to
move while I went to look for her saddle.  The horse, after loosing the
saddle, just trotted up the trail back to Mona and waited there.  I was
wading through the bushes which were taller than me when I heard a high
pitched voice yell "here it is".  Mona was wading through the bushes too
even though I had asked her to stay put.  Luckily just at the top of the
hill there was a vet check.  We walked the rest of the way up the trail to
the check.  They radioed in that there had been an accident.  Mona had hurt
her shoulder.  She also had a junior rider with her.  It was decided that I
would continue on with the junior and someone would come pick Mona and her
horse up at that point.
We continued on down the trail.  Morgan, the junior was very concerned about
Mona.  I kept telling her she would be OK.  We reached a place in the trail
where Mona's husband was waiting for her.  We stopped to talk to him.  In
the distance Morgan saw a rider coming.  She thought it was Mona.  I told
her that wasn't likely.  But while talking to Mona's husband, who trotted up
but Mona.  She was close to the end of that loop and there was no way she
wasn't going to finish.  I found out later that Mona had torn her rotator
cuff on that fall.  Toughest woman I've ever met!  Also made a big believer
of breast collars out of me.

Becky R. - Montana