[RC] AHA CTR Needs Your Help Today! - mkrumlaw

Hello Ridecampers,

AHA/CTR riders could really use your help.  This is a long complicated story so I'll try to keep it simple.  AHA made some changes to the sweepstakes program this year that eliminated the funds paid to winners/placers at the regional and national level rides.  They implemented a new program and are now awarding points to be paid for those placing in AHA Recognized Rides.   The points will be accumulated and then one check issued at the end of the year.  Sounds simple.

Here's the kicker.  For a CTR ride to be recognized it must currently use the AHA rules, score sheets, and provide a steward.  Additionally every horse at the ride, regardless of breed, must now be judged and scored twice.  Once under the CTR governing body that is sanctioning the ride, and once under AHA rules.  This means that non-Arab owners are being forced to stand for the AHA scoring.  There are a 100 other issues with this position as well but I said I'd keep it simple.

The AHA National CTR Committee has voted to NOT require AHA recognized CTR rides to use the AHA rules and to accept the placings of the original governing body.  In February we submitted a motion to make this change effective immediately.   The **STAFF** at the AHA office tabled the motion.  They didn't want the extra work and they don't want to have to deal with different CTR bodies.

I've put the motion before the BOD for the meetings they are having this weekend.  I have found out that the BOD CAN vote in favor of this motion and it CAN go into effect immediately.  When I got home from the office tonight I had a message from the AHA staff telling me they were going to table the motion again.

My frustration with this has nothing to do with the sweepstakes horses, I don't own any.  I do however have huge concerns with AHA trying to take over the CTR world and....if they are going to offer sweepstakes programs to breeders and owners then they better make sure there is a way for these horses to participate in the programs.

This is were we need your help.  If you have time, and wouldn't mind sending a quick fax stating you want the BOD to review and vote for the CTR motion being presented it could really help the cause.

I recognize this probably isn't the best forum but it's the only place I knew of that I could get in touch with a lot of distance riders by tomorrow. We have to show AHA there are a large number of us out there and we are paying attention to what they are doing....or lack there of.

The fax number is 303-696-4599  If you know your regional director's name fax it to them.  If not you can send it to the BOD in general.

Sorry for any grammar, spelling, etc. errors...it's late.

MKS