Re: [RC] How do your endurance horses live? - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Mine are a bunch of spoiled rotten babies.  :))

I have four horses competing, all of my horses, including the young ones, older ones, and just plain, fat ones, spend time both outside and inside.  In the winter, they are all up at night, out during the day, in the spring/fall months they can spend some time out both day and night, and in the summer, they are up during the hot day time.  I have NO shade trees or shelters other than the barn.  This warrants them being in more than most horses.  They have plenty of pasture, and grass, hay out in front of them all winter, grass hay is fed, and they receive grain.
We can condition here at the house, (I live on a farm, so have fields/trails to ride), but for longer rides we haul 20 mins. to horse trails in the forrest.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nikki McCormack <neyska@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
These are always interesting posts. At this point, my horses are working
their way up to being endurance horses, but I imagine they count for this.
:)

Our two are stalled in our barn at night (this helps keep their feet healthy
during the very wet winters in the Seattle area). They have turnout all day
in a large paddock. Pasture turnout during the nicer months (still need to
repair a few sections of fence damaged during windstorms this year).

We pretty much have to trailer to ride, but there are a lot of great trails
within 10 minutes drive. Almost none that are accessible by riding, mostly
due to unsafe traffic issues. This makes it hard to find training time,
especially since we do not have an arena, but we hope to build a trail
running a circuit around the property for those days that we just don't have
time to drive them somewhere. I have my fingers crossed that we can pull it
off.

Nikki
AERC M33800 / PNER 3782