[RC] re: How do your endurance horses live? - Tracey Smith

Well...after reading everyone else's posts I am so jealous as my mares are boarded being as I live in the city.

But, they are NOT pampered little full care ponies...I board at a self care place where everyone helps each other out if someone has to work late and needs help feeding. Full care board NOR my own property are in the budget at this time (those darn kids like to EAT too much).

Our barn has about 15 acres of turnout and there are only 8 horses so it's a small family kind of place. The horses are out during the day and at night they are in their stall/runs. I really like this set up as my horses are seperated at feeding time (both are at the BOTTOM of the pecking order so this is important to me) and at night they can be inside or outside at their choosing.

Biggest downside is there is nothing but a really SMALL arena to ride in so I have to trailer out to do my conditioning. Of course I don't have it TOO BAD as living in the Dallas / Fort Worth area I can go to at least 6 different trail systems for a DAY RIDE and I most frequently go to Grapevine Lake or the LBJ Grasslands.

The owner of my barn lives on site and keeps a good eye on comings and goings so it's nice and secure and the other added benefit is if there's ever an injury at a ride, my mare WILL NOT freak out when the ambulance and careflite come screaming into camp or on the trail with sirens blaring as there's a fire station just down the street so those sounds are just part of their daily life....now cows....well those are aliens from another planet!

Tracey Smith
Kaahli and Amira