[RC] Resting Heart Rate - Chastain, Shannon L.

I have a friend that just a few months ago got a small 1/2 Arab mare we do not know for sure how much she was ridden. When we condition she is down to 44 in a matter of seconds. Her resting rate is 28 to 32. We did a tough CTR last week (25 miles) and she again was down to 44 in seconds (5 mph pace). My gelding who I have been conditioning for two years and riding in CTR and LD resting rate is 36/44. Sometimes he does pulse down to the forties in the 10 minutes you get in CTR but as a rule he is in the fifties. My Gelding is a big registered Arab. My question is as he gets in better shape will his resting rate get better or is it what it is?

Shannon and Drinks R Served
Missouri