[RC] Malaysia - Edaran Endurance Classic - part 2 - Stephanie Teeter

Ride day (or more specifically the day of ride night).

The ride organizers of the Edaran Endurance Classic were trying something a
little different this year. In the past, the longer rides started in the late
afternoon - around 4 or 5pm - and then ran through the night, when the
temperatures were at their coolest. This year, both the 80km and 120km rides
would start at night. The 120km would start at 10pm, and the 80km at midnight.
It's a little daunting to start a ride in the dark, with fresh horses, narrow
trails, deep woods. But I felt comfortable with my mare, Famous, and had ridden
the course before in the daylight (2005) so was actually looking forward to the
experience. I had a new bright headlamp (on my new helmet which I had to buy
because I left mine back in Idaho) and felt fairly prepared.

(contrary to the 'part 1' story that I just posted, we didn't go back to the
hotel after the forum - this was the night of the ride. the challenges of
travel, time change, day becoming night, - I didn't quite get the sequence of
events right!~)

So - after the forum, we had dinner, a chance to rest a little (I snoozed in
the front of Azri's car for an hour), get dressed and get ready for the ride.
The 120km Flag Off was at 10pm, we were able to watch the starters, not quite
enough light for my little camera, but it was fun to watch them trot down the
flag lined starting zone, and disappear into the dark. At 11:30 pm we started
preparing our horses - the stable grooms brought them down, we saddled, hooked
up the lights, and got ready to go.

The horses were quiet (a little sleepy maybe) and the two mares seemed content
to be with each other (travellers from Sabah). There were about 25 starters on
the 80km, a nice small group - not too much confusion. The start was
reasonable, no reason to rush off with a long night ahead - the Malaysians have
learned to pace - they really do understand the importance of a steady ride.

It was sprinkling a little as we left - I was thinking 'how nice' , this will
keep us cool. Then it started raining harder, then as we entered the palm
forest, the lightning flashed, and it really started raining. I don't think
I've ever experienced rain like this before, we were drenched immediately, warm
rain - coming down in sheets. The sound of the rain was incredible. With
limited visibility, the noise seemed even louder. I was grinning though, this
was definitely a new experience! The horses didn't seem to mind, and it must
have felt good to them to stay cool.

The trail wound through the forest roads, up and down and around, and it kept
raining... for the first two hours it rained, rained hard, rained and rained! I
remember wondering the day before if it ever flooded here - when the rain comes
down so hard and so fast, where does all the water go? We were about 1 hour
into the ride, dropping down on the other side of the palm plantation to cross
the creek and head into the country side. Several of us were riding together,
headlamps bouncing light off the trees, off the rain, casting a glow on the
trail. With the heavy rain visibilty was poor - but the horses kept trotting,
kept pulling.

As we dropped into the creek crossing we could no longer see the road or the
trail - it was a lake by now, warm water, fast moving - the sound was
incredible. We could still see the trail signs to follow - but the horses were
almost chest deep in water - splashing, at a walk. I remember seeing the horses
in front of me stay to the right of the trail sign, and leading my mare to the
left of the trail sign thinking - this looks like it might be higher ground -
and then my mare disappeared out from under me. We must have stepped off the
road into the creek - the water was up to my waist (still over the saddle) and
Famous was thrashing, lunging forward, trying to find some footing. Somehow I
managed to stay with her, grabbing some mane when she re-appeared, grabbing the
pommel, searching for the saddle with my knees, no time to think, just try to
stay with her, the headlamp lighting her mane and ears. She lunged back up to
higher ground and somehow I stayed with her. When she finally go to solid
ground I managed to settle back into the
sadde - eventually found the stirrups (one had twisted around, took some work
to get it aligned again) - and away we go. Wow - these are the moments that
keep us alive - adrenalin, time slows down - only the moment demanding all of
our senses.  I suppose these are the moments that keep the 'extreme sports'
junkies coming back for more.

Well, I don't think I was any wetter than before- I had already become drenched
- so a deep breath and on we go.

Two more hours on the trail, still raining. We rode through small farms,
smelling and hearing the animals - goats, water buffalos - dogs barking - but
seeing very little except parts of the trail, and the rider in front
illuminated by the headlamp. The sounds were vivid - we passed along a lake
next to a quarry - deep voiced frogs - sounding like tubas - coming out of the
dark. Onto pavement and a village street. There were several checkpoints -
lights and humans taking numbers and giving great comfort! The trail was marked
extremely well - colored arrows everywhere, and gas lamps attached to the trees
- beautiful beacons of light - and the trail organizers had actually gone out
and put little lids over the lamps, to keep the rain from dousing the lights.

Some things are beyond the control of the ride organizer - and the weather -
can make all the difference in the world. Under the direction of Encik Mohamed
Din bin Mat and Insp. Mat Fuad bin Yusof, course designer and coordinator, the
trail had been groomed, raked, level, prepared to perfection - the directional
signs, the gas lamps, everything was perfect... and then it rained beyond
anybody's imagination. The trail turned to river and mud, an already
challenging course became terribly difficult - the hills turned to slippery
mud, and the visibility was greatly reduced. I felt so bad for them - as a ride
organizer I know how discouraging it can be when all of the work and care and
preparation gets spoiled by circumstances out of our control!

I can only say that the ride organizers did a magnificent job - first class in
every way.

At one of the last checkpoints we stopped to let the horses drink, and take a
breath. The rain was just a light drizzle now, after 2 1/2 hours of very tense
riding, we needed a little break. Famous's interference boots were slipped and
slopped down around her feet, soggy and muddy - but I sort of put them back
where they belonged. The horses drank a little, and seemed to appreciate the
break. They felt hot to the touch - the night air was fairly cool, but there
was no air to offer evaporative cooling. just wet. We sloshed back into the
saddles and headed to camp  - another 5 kilometers to go.

Both Leo and I were thinking that we'd stop after this loop (35 kilometers).
The horses were not that fit, and had worked hard on the trail - Famous felt a
little off when we trotted on the pavement, she had probably had enough. We got
back to the vet check - wet and soggy vets and officials - and vetted through.
Both mares passed, but we decided to stop anyway. More tough trail, these
horses had given us a great ride,  -  they'd done enough.

It was a short, but unforgettable ride!

It was 3:30am by now, Leo and Carol went back to the hotel, but  I decided to
stick around - take some pictures, watch the race progress, visit with some of
the vets and officials. It was fun - I was wishing I was still on the trail
(we're endurance rides, we hate to quit:) - but still enjoying the entire
experience. I watched the 40km race start at 7am - quite the assortment of
horses - thoroughbreds, polo horses, ponies - children, parents, beginners - a
variety of riding styles and skills, a variety of saddles and tack - fun to see
people trying the sport for the first time, wondering if they would have fun.

I watched the finish of the 80km ride - 3 riders racing down the stretch -
racing for first - whooping and hollering. The first finisher was eliminated at
the trot-out - a slight bob of the head. The trotting lane was pavement,
nothing went by undetected on this surface. One very sad rider, followed by a
jubilant winner. Our sport.

Finally I couldn't keep my eyes open, and fell asleep on the couch by the
treatment barn. Only 2 horses required treatment - a tie-up early in the 120km
ride, and one horse was simply tired and dehydrated - nothing serious, mostly
precautionary treatment. The Malaysians ride with caution - their early
attempts at the sport quickly taught them that you can not race the horses the
way they do in temperate climates. Pacing, strategy, steady progress- careful
monitoring of the horse.

Ardi woke me up and offered to take me back to the hotel. As we were driving
out we followed one of the 40km riders (the young woman I had seen at the tack
store at the KL Equestrian Center) - a tiny muslim woman on a great big gray
thoroughbred - both looking good. We also caught up with Shamsudin Ronin on the
amazing mare Malin. He was on his last loop, Malin was trotting along spritely,
she moves like a feather, barely seeming to touch the ground. They were the
only riders left in the 120km event. Dr. Nik and Jogo had been eliminated at
the last loop - Jogo was sound, but tired - and he opted not to go back out.
There was another chance to qualify for the Asian Games next month - next time.

A hot shower at the hotel (felt a lot like being out on the trail!) and to bed,
tired, time for an hour of sleep and then get dressed and back out to Ar-Raudah
for the closing ceremony! (endurance..)

- more later - closing ceremony, wrap-up,  - thoughts

Steph