[RC] Malaysia - Edaran Endurance Classic 2006 (part 1) - Stephanie Teeter

Here's my ride story - more story than riding, but I've come to appreciate the
cultural complexity of this sport, and I enjoy the whole experience - the
travel, the individuals that pop up from obscure lives in small countries to be
'stars' - or at least achieve significance at some level of this sport. ... or
the individuals that come from high places and use their power and influence to
shape the sport. I recently read that Sh. Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - ruler
of Dubai - was selected as one of Time Magazine's '100 most influential people'
of the year. I saw the picture and short description of him, referred to as
Sheikh Mo - and thought - wow! I know this guy! He's an Endurance Rider!

Endurance is a small, obscure, tough and dirty sport - sweat, dust, rain, pain
- and because of it's recent launch into the world of FEI Equestrian sports,
and it's availability to people of any class, even people of limited riding
skills - almost every corner of the world has discovered it's allure. I'm going
to travel to Columbia this summer - they have now accepted Endurance as a
Federation sport - and are starting an FEI Endurance program. Why not! Some
countries are dabbling in Endurance, limited by participation, isolation,
government, support. Other countries are committing their full energy and
support, bringing Endurance to the level of the more traditional Equestrian
sports - jumping, dressage, eventing.

Malaysia is one country that is now in full swing - full involvement with the
public, with the goverment, with the royalty - this country is determined.
Here's my story, Edaran Classic 2006-

----------

I came to Malaysia for the first time in 2005, for the Edaran Endurance Classic
2005. Dr. Nik Isahak Abdullah, a medical cardiologist, one of the first
Malaysians to become involved in Endurance, is a significant motivater for the
sport in this country. He helped orchestrate my invitation by Edaran Digital
Systems Berhad, the ride sponsors and organizers. The goal was for me to
participate in Endurance in the tropics, understand the unique challenges, and
through Endurance Net share my experiences with the rest of the world. It was a
fantastic experience, the trip of a lifetime for me (how could I have ever
imagined this!) and I felt very honored to learn about this country and it's
intrepid people.  I also felt the importance of understanding the commitment of
the Malaysian people to the sport, and the opportunity to share my observations
with the rest of the International Endurance community.

I understood that the sport was important to Malaysia, and that the commitment
of Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin to promoting the sport was significant, but was
still amazed to learn that 8 months later, the FEI had accepted Malaysia's bid
to host the 2008 World Endurance Championship. A very ambitious undertaking,
but in keeping with the ability of this small nation to achieve large things.

When Edaran invited me once more to attend the Edaran Classic, ride in the
competition and provide Endurance Net coverage, there was no hesitation at all
- yes! I will be there! I felt a little more prepared this time, a little more
certain of what to expect. They would provide a horse for me, but probably just
to ride in the non-FEI 80km or 40km distance. All of the serious riders and
high level horses were being focused on qualifying for the Asian Endurance
Championship, part of the Asian Equestrian Games, to be held in Doha, Qatar,
December 2007. A very important event, and a chance for Malaysian riders to
compete at the International level, outside of Malaysia.

I arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday, May 4 - after 27 hours of travelling from
New Orleans, where I had been visiting family. Dr. Nik picked me up at the
airport and as typical, was full of enthusiasm and questions and stories.  He's
a great enthusiast of Endurance, I truly believe that part of the advancement
Malaysia has seen with Endurance is due to Dr. Niks unshakeable optimism and
passion for the sport. He is also willing to go beyond the normal protocols -
to aim a little higher, and to convince others to do so as well.  We talked of
the sport in general, new rules and rumblings within the FEI, the use of
illegal drugs in the sport (as a cardiologist he understands the mechanisms -
and threat to the horse - of the performance enhancing drugs - beta blockers,
EPO). He took me on a little driving tour on the way into KL - past his small
barn, where he keeps his horses and does his training, and through the amazing
Putrajaya - the newly constructed administrative center (city) of Malaysa. Very
modern, very artistically designed
, aimed at reducing the congestion in Kuala Lumpur and providing a network of
offices and administrative centers. A palace-like Presidential building, and
massive Mosque (Malaysia is primarily Muslim) dominate the mini-city. The
architecture is a harmonious blend of the traditional and the modern. This is
Malaysia - they seem to have achieved the leap into the modern world, without
sacrifing their art, culture and history.

I met up with Leonard Liesens at the hotel. My good friend from Belgium,
competitive and adventurous Endurance rider, with whom I have shared so many
adventures - Tevis, Dubai WEC 1998, Outlaw Trail multiday ride, President's Cup
in Abu Dhabi, Pan American Championships in USA and Argentina... the list goes
on. We have both watched the sport grow during the past 15 years, and have
stayed involved at every level - from competitor to journalist . Leo was
offered the opportunity to come and ride at the Edaran Classic 2006 - and I
encouraged him to do so - even for a short ride, the experience of being here
was not to be missed! Leo and his partner Carol and I joined Dr. Nik for dinner
after a short rest. Traditional Malaysian food, a bit of Thai, Indonesian,
spice and coconut - wonderful!

We did a little bit of tourist shopping the next day, some traditional
Malaysian crafts and art, and shopping at the Central Market - an
indoor/outdoor pavillion loaded with small shops selling Malaysian items, and
imports from other Asian ports. My favorite type of shopping! Little items,
sometimes exotic, sometimes bizarre, always interesting and of unique ethnic
flavor. After lunch and a short rest we were taken out to Ar-Raudah, the
Equestrian center where the ride would be held. Edaran had provided us with
drivers - Azri Ghani - a friendly and very knowlegable employee of Edaran was
my driver and guide - an endless source of information - great company. He was
a very special guide - and new friend. And Ardi - a student on leave from
college, who applied for the job with Edaran so that he could meet the foreign
guests (us) and learn a little more about other parts of the world. Ardi was
delightful and very charming. On our last night in KL (after the ride) he took
Leo and Carol and I to his parent's Thai restaurant. The restaur
ant was situated a few blocks from the KLCC (where the magnificent KL towers -
at one time the tallest buildings in the world - are located). Off the main
road, down a quiet alley, a traditional Thai/Malay restaurant - not fancy, but
well known for its excellent food and special dishes. It was delightful! Ardi's
mother treated us like family (a Muslim woman with 9 children, maybe everybody
is family to her!) bringing her favorite dishes, and explaining their
preparation. Plus she was happy to tell us a little more about the Malay people
- culture and history. A special dinner - simple and sweet.

The traffic in the KL area can be bad - it took a while to get out to
Ar-Raudah, but there was plenty to look at and talk about on the way. The
scooters here just amaze me. While the cars are inching along, stopping and
starting, thousands of little scooters - mopeds - are darting in and out of
traffic, squeezing between cars, zipping in front of one, behind the other,
missing the bumpers with their wheels by inches, it made me nervous to watch
them! And they all drive with their shirts worn backwards - arms through the
sleeves - buttons or zippers open to the back - avoiding the billowing wind, a
little extra protection.

At Ar-Raudah we were greeted by the stable and facility manager, Encik
Asbanizam, who took us to meet our horses. Two mares had been shipped over from
Sabah (the island of Borneo) one month before, to prepare for the ride. The
mares had been cared for and trained during their stay at Ar-Raudah so that we
could participate in the ride. Not enough time to prepare them for the CEI***
120 event, but fit and healthy and perfectly prepared so that we could
participate in the 80km or 40km event. The care was evident, and the
opportunity to ride was greatly appreciated!  We saddled the mares and rode
them in the arena - just fine. Kind, and willing - I really liked my little
gray mare 'Famous' - she had a plain head, not particularly elegant, but a good
body type for Endurance, and a kind eye.

Just as we finished riding, the sky opened up and it RAINED - warm, tropical
downpour. When it rains here it really rains. It was unusual for it to be so
wet this time of the year - the rainy season was technically over, but this
year the rains had gone on much longer - so much rain! We sat in the small
pavillion by the arena for a bit, and then were taken up to the club house
pavillion for 'High Tea'. Invitation by YBhg Dato' Bistamam Ramli, Managing
Director of Edaran Digital Systems Berhad, we were greeted by the Organizing
Committee, Tansri Tajuddin and his wife. Guests and media, sharing tea and
light food. Very nice, very Malaysian (and just a bit British).

Back to Kuala Lumpur, Leo and Carol and I went out for dinner later in the
evening, a Thai restaurant at the KLCC (towers) center - a huge shopping
center, very modern, very chic. And very tired.... I hadn't had a good night's
sleep yet, it's a challenge to adjust to the time change, 12 hours different -
day in USA, night in Malaysia.

Friday morning we relaxed at the hotel, I took the opportunity to work some,
download some pictures, get caught up on several days of Endurance Net email
and correspondence. Dr. Nik had scheduled an informal Endurance forum for the
afternoon - a chance to talk about the sport from a technical and International
perspective, and learn a bit about the special challenges of Endurance in the
tropics. Veterinarian Dr. Basheer Ahmad (Deputy Dean, School of Veterinary
Science) would speak on this topic. Leo had prepared a power point presentation
on Endurance - preparation, training, and the 'state' of the sport - with
special emphasis on current training and competition methods. I was to speak on
pacing and competition strategy.

We arrived at the clubhouse and found that the 'informal' forum had suddenly
become very formal! Sultan Mizan had decided to attend, as well as the Tansri
Tajuddin and his special guests Prince Rashid Safar Bin Shaba'an Al-Haji and
Mr. Ikbal Abbasi from Qatar, and also Al Jazeera sports network! I found it
absolutely thrilling that Al Jazeera was attending. This is an important
network in the Middle East and Asia, and they are producing a news piece on
Endurance in Asia (the Gulf states - UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, etc are
technically part of the Asian continent). They planned to cover the important
Endurance events, conduct interviews, etc to promote the sport, and in
particular promote the Asian Equestrian Games, including the Asian Endurance
Championship, to be held in Doha, Qatar - December 2007. Qatar was actually the
first Arab country to do Endurance - starting with marathons and Camel/Horse
competitions in the late 1980's. Prince Rashid was a participant in the early
Endurance events, and later during the closing ceremon
y dinner, we discovered that Dr. Bobby Surendra Babu (Foreign Veterinary
Delegate for the ride) had also been involved in these early Endurance races -
what coincidence that Prince Rashid and Dr. Bobby to find themselves together
again, 17 years later, at an International Endurance event in Malaysia. The
circle of this sport constantly astounds me...

Sultan Mizan arrived, seated in the center of the room, yellow carpet and chair
for Royalty, an ardent and enthusiastic promoter of the sport of Endurance, and
a man revered by the Malaysian people. Dr. Basheer spoke on the issues of heat
and electrolyte loss, the same principles in every part of the world - the
importance of pacing, slowing the speed, water intake - some basic
physiological information. Leonard gave an excellent presentation - the
audience was attentive and could easily follow his talk, he did a great job.
Fortunately for me (feeling rather jet-lagged and unprepared to give a talk to
this audience) we ran out of time, and I was spared! A few questions from the
group, some comments from Paul Brown the Australian trainer working for the
Royal Stables, and then we were done! Leo and I had been asked to interview
with Al Jazeera, but the technician thought it was too dark, the light would
not be good, and we decided to to wait until the following day, or after the
race.

I had also hoped to interview Sultan Mizan and his staff, ask questions about
the 2008 WEC venue, preparations, horses in training, plans for attending the
2006 WEC in Aachen, etc. - but we ran out of time. I spoke with Sultan's
secretary and veterinarian for a while, making tentative plans to travel to
Terengganu for a day after the Edaran event, to see the stables, and as much of
the venue as had been constructed - but after some discussion they decided that
it would be too rushed, the Sultan had to travel to France and wouldn't be
there, and  we should just come back later - for the CEI*** 160km in
Terengganu, in early August. Ok then! Perfect.

After the forum, we went back to the hotel, Leo and Carol were going out again,
shopping, and I crashed in the hotel. soooo tired! One good night's sleep was
what I needed.

more later  -