[RC] de spooking/trainers - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: diane Day fourdays@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am not a Parelli fan, probably see too many "Parelli"trained horses that I
felt were dangerous and disrespectful..you see people doing things with horses
willy nilly....standing on their backs (falling off!), jumping bareback, no
bridles, with NO HELMETS!, standing on horses lying down, bridling from their
KNEES???  Come on, all very unsafe practices....

I am concerned though when people dismiss these teaching programs with comments
like the above.
The idea of the Parelli/Lyons/Anderson programs to is teach riders to connect
with their horses instead of just treating them as mounts, and to learn ways of
interacting with them which actually makes life much safer.  How many of these
NASA trained Arabs would benefit with some desentization work - Walmart bags on
the end of carrot sticks flung aound their heads for a few rounds might go a
long way to reduce their airflight time.  These programs suggest ways to work
with your horses that make them safer not more disrespectful.  I have seen a
lot of obnoxious horses, but none who have had owners who've spent time with
them on the ground, doing the work taught in these seminars. Which is more safe
- a horse that throws his head to the sky every time you try to bridle him -
sometimes taking your arm out of socket doing so - or a horse that drops his
head - even to the point where you can be on your knees to put one on? Riding
without a bridle is the ultimate connection with a horse - not to be done
without prior teaching of course, but why would one criticize this type of
learning that results in a deeper affinity for your equine friend?   Why would
anyone need a helmet on to do ground work?  I don't understand these criticisms.

These "celebrities" do have their groupies, of course, Parelli more than most.
But he is a showman - and spends a lot of time making the system fun and
entertaining.  His program still works.  Anderson gets to the meat quick with
much ado- good solid info there, mate.  I have found that the techniques and
tips I gathered from these 3 gurus (which can be found on RFDTV and in
magazines, you don't have to pay a lot of money to learn about them) to be
excellent tools for passing on at 4H meetings and with new or young riders.  It
is easily learned and pertinent stuff -and it reduces fear immensely when new
horse people see that a horse will respond to them so well. Anything that
decreases fear is always worth a look.
Not everything new needs to be dismissed - not every change is bad.  When it
coms to horse handling, the majority of people out there could benefit from a
little more understanding and a few more 'techniques" in their library...Just
loving your horse isn't enough.  We've got to be able to help them learn and
obey us, for their safety and ours. It is the rare person who knows  how just
from instinct or because she's "always had horses"  People who 'always had
horses' tend to do the things they've always done, regardless of whether any of
what they do was the right thing to do to begin with.

I've been wondering: A lot of people on ridecamp talk of being thrown off their
spooked horses ( who seem in large part to be Arabs which certainly gives the
poor breed a bad press!)  It has led me to wonder if putting a bridle with
blinders on it, like harness horses wear, would make the horse settle down and
be forced to trust the rider more and wait for the rider's queues - without the
constant distraction of seeing such predators as potholes, logs, and roadside
trash around them.  Just a thought.