[RC] Derby Dash, Kentucky - roxanne kopp

It was a beautiful weekend to ride in the Daniel Boone Forest at the Derby Dash.  I had ridden here last year and couldn't wait to come back and ride again this year.  Got to ridecamp early Friday afternoon - camp is behind the Clear Creek Restaurant in a large grass field - plenty of room to spread out.  Ths ride is put on by the Daniel Boone Distance Riders and they do a great job.  It seems to be a smaller ride than some others I have gone to which gives a whole relaxed atmosphere to the weekend.  Two vets, lots of volunteers, no waits for anything and some of the most scenic trails I have ridden to date.
Saturday dawned crystal clear and cool.  Controled start for the first mile down a road to the trail then you enter the forest.  The trail is single track and just winds up, down and around trees for miles and miles.  Plenty of water and you are in shade the whole day.  Loops back to camp but all three loops are on different trails so you get to see different parts of the park.  I'll just give highlights:  first loop - two things stand out from this loop - one was the big rock formations on what they call the Leatherwood loop, even Eddie ( my horse ) was looking up at them, I slowed so he and I could admiire the view and another section which had been fire damaged.  I didn't remember this section being burned last year but it was interesting to still be able to smell that fire, charred wood.  Lots of water on this loop and Eddie started drinking toward the end.  Second loop - more single track, section of gravel road where you could move out and after a climb you come out on a ridge and the view was just incredible.  Those eastern KY hills seem to just go on and on, wish I had a camera....maybe next year I'll take some and figure out how to post pictures....again plenty of water.  Third loop - shortest loop, more single track - this was probably the rockiest loop.  Finish is just as you exit the forest and then about a mile down a gravel road to camp.  I can't give placings or real accurate numbers but I'm thinking about 18 or so started the fifty on saturday and 14 finished.  Not sure of numbers for friday or the 30 mile ride on saturday.
Thank you to the Daniel Boone Distance Riders for putting on the ride and Brenda for doing a terrific job as ride manager and Otis and Kevin for the vetting.  I would recommend this ride to anyone who wants to see and ride a beautiful forest trail.  It is not a flat race course, your horse is going to have to think his/her way through the trails.  It is what alot of people described to me as a technical trail - I just enjoyed the quiet and the views and the day.  Had a great ride and the icing on the cake is to come home the next day and be able to watch Eddie run around the pasture showing off to his two horse buddies just what a big horse he is.  Can't wait till next year!

Roxanne/Kentucky