[RC] Malaysia - wet and wild! - stephteeter

I'm packing to go to Langkawi Island (off the NW corner of Malaysia) for a
few days before heading home. Don't have time to write much this morning,
but will do full story over the next few days. What an incredible experience
it was to ride this time - black steamy midnight departure, a few sprinkles
as we left turned into torrential downpour for the next 2 hours, visibility
was minimimal, thunder and lightning flashing around, the creek through the
palm plantation flooded so that the horses were belly deep at the crossing,
I navigated my mare through the crossing and must have gone off the road -
she disappeared into the warm roiling water - somehow we stayed together,
flashes from my headlamp helping me find some mane and saddle pommel to
grab, and found the flooded road again. It was really incredible, jungle
sounds of frogs, bats darting around, passing by farms where we could hear
and smell the animals, but could see nothing. wow.

And once again the Malaysian hospitality was outstanding. Guests of Tansri
Tajuddin - owner of Ar-Raudah, and Edaran, welcomed by HRH Sultan Mizan, the
next Malaysian King. Closing ceremony and Tea at the clubhouse overlooking
the Equestrian center, Malay food and traditional music, nothing
extravagent, just very nice and comfortable. We dined with friends of
Tansri - Sheikh Rashid Safar Bin Shaba'an Al-Haji from Qatar, Mr Ikbal
Abbassi an Algerian national living in Qatar, associate of Sh. Rashid, and
Dr. Bobby Surrenda Babu (foreign veterinary delegate for the ride), Sudar
Rethinavel (foreign judge). A wonderful mix of cultures at this event, and
the Malaysian hospitality and regard for protocol, politeness, the happiness
of their guests - is so strong, it was wonderful.

And Al Jazeera sports were there filming, interviewing, preparing a TV
thread to promote Endurance in Asia, and the Asian Games (and Asian
Endurance Championship) to be held in Qatar this December.

lots more to tell - first a plane to catch,

Steph