[RC] reacting to shots - Kathy Garner

We haven't had any reactions WNV, thank heavens.  When I vaccinate, I try to spread out the shots, so I don't stress the horses out too much.  I had them vaccinated for WNV, then a week later gave them a 5-way shot.  My mare was fine, my gelding a little off his feed & not too perky; but my husband's quarter horse felt really bad for a day.  He didn't eat much & didn't run around at all (this is a horse who's nickname is Thunderbutt!).  It's hard to tell if it was the tetanus or the rhino that made him feel ill.

By the end of Day 2, everyone was eating and back to normal.

We had allergy panels run on my husband's quarter horse.  He is allergic to lots of different types of flies, oats, molasses, & eucalyptus tress (all of which we have) among other things.  We are going to start him on allergy shots & I'll be feeding him garlic to help with the flies.  We've also purchased fly predators for the first time; so hopefully the fly population will not be as great.  I've noticed that these light brown gnats really eat him alive, too.  They bother the other horses, but not like J.D.

Since J.D. is allergic to molasses & oats, I plan on feeding him beet pulp (it has a slight amount of molasses) & barley to hide the taste of the garlic.  Does anyone have any suggestions for something sweet to encourage him to eat his garlic 2X a day?

Thanks,

Kathy Garner
EarthLink Revolves Around You.