Re: [RC] laying horses down ( calling DR Q equine/equestrian psychologist) - Maryanne Gabbani

I can't imagine trying to get one of my horses on the ground but I recently had the experience of having my oldest mare lying out cold from an anaesthetic. The "clinics" here in Egypt are small, home built affairs at stud farms and there is just room for the surgery so the horses are wheeled out to a lawn and laid out on the grass on straw to recover. In most cases, grooms sit on their heads, shoulders and hips to keep them immobile while the brain re-attaches and to ensure that they don't get up before they are capable of standing.

My 20 yr old mare had to have a check ligament cut and when she was rolled out to recover I asked that the men not lean or sit on her. The previous horse, an enormous black jumper, had sent grooms flying through the air with his gyrations as he woke, but I really felt that my little 14 h midget wouldn't need such restraint. I crouched at her head, ready to move it I was going to get whacked, and laid my hand on her cheek, saying "no, not yet" each time she started to rise before the vet said that she was ready. Each time, she lay back down and relaxed. When the vet said that she was ready for a ventral position, I verbally asked her to come up a little. (She is regularly asked for "one step" when I'm either trimming trees or picking mulberries) She came to a ventral position and rested again. A few minutes later, I was told to ask her to rise, which she did on command albeit a little unsteadily.

The grooms were astonished, and the vets said that it was the first time they'd seen a horse just talked through recovery. I don't think that it could be done with every horse, but Dory and I have an almost 20 year history together and a lot of trust. I was almost in tears with the honour she paid me...and I really wonder if she'd have been so lovely if she hadn't been so totally stoned. LOL

Maryanne