[RC] Terrains and long-distance riding styles that affect the feet - Beth Leggieri

Am on my second pair of Terrains.  I wear them twice a day at feeding time.  They do wear out across the top, right where the lace-up portion starts (can't remember the technical name for that part of a shoe), the cracking starts, then the tearing, then the hole opens up.  Not complaining about the quality--it is excellent considering the demands placed on them (twice a day feeding with all the walking back and forth, the weather demands, etc. -- not to mention the riding).  Just can't wear anything else now -- totally spoiled.

As far as sole pain, arch pain, etc. I recently was told that "older" endurance riders (those that have ridden for years and years) are now developing foot problems.  I have also learned that the cavalry model for long-distance riding included weight-bearing on the arches rather than just on the balls of the feet, and it was suggested that prudent shifting of weight back and forth is a good long-term idea.  Am interested in hearing some discussion on that.

Thanks,
Beth
Texas